Tuesday 20 April 2010

Sigma DP2s + Ricoh LC-1

Olympus µ 850 SW

After a hiatus, I'm back with a new camera, Sigma DP2s!

Although my previous camera, Panasonic LC-1, is a nice camera, it somehow doesn't work for me in a long term. It works like a rangefinder and looks cool. Its lens is great! Its picture quality is very good. I liked it a lot and thought it's the camera to stay. But after some extented use, I found it's quite big and heavy. Although it's not as big and heavy as a DSLR, it's much bigger than my old loves, Ricoh GR Digital and other compact film cameras. Of course, I knew its size and weight when I considered to buy it. I just thought it's not a big problem. As I found that I took less and less pictures with it, I knew it's really a problem. It stayed inside its soft case more and more as time went by.

After playing with my friend's new GRDIII, I just wanted to bring back the joy of taking pictures with a true compact camera. I wanted a 2nd-hand GRDI at decent condition. But I finally dropped the idea as such GRDI could break anytime after all the years. I may find a GRDI at a very good price later for its B/W quality. For now, I need a new good one. After learning the lessons with Konica Hexar and Panasonic LC-1, I must find one with a compact and light body and pretty good picture quality. I thought a little about GRDIII. But it's not a big breakthrough except for its high ISO performance. What else was a better option? I came across Sigma DP2s.

I heard a lot of comments on how poor DP1 is. Now DP2s is a result of improvements over the previous DP's with a prime lens. It doesn't work as great as GRDIII. It's just acceptable. With its amazing picture quality, I can say it's more than acceptable.

Do I really need such picture quality? Most of the time, no. But GRDIII can't bring me such quality. And with post-processing, I can turn a very detailed picture into a lower quality one. I can't do this another way round.

So, finally, DP2s!

As its lens cover is quite annoying, I've replaced it with a Ricoh LC-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment