Tuesday 24 March 2009

Kites in Line

Hexar

Before getting my hands on my Hexar, I know it's big. People say it's nearly as big as a Leica M6 but not as heavy. Although I don't know how big an M6 is, I guess it's really big. Yes, it's BIG, especially when compared with my TC-1. If we see Hexar as a point-and-shoot camera, Hexar must be one of the biggest p&s camera and TC-1 is the smallest. After using TC-1 for quite a while, I'm worried that I can't stand the bigger and heavier Hexar.

The size and weight of Hexar turn out not too much to me. It's acceptable because except my TC-1, I don't put my camera in my pocket. I usually wear my camera on my neck with a neck strap or carry it in my backpack. It's OK with Hexar this way. I would feel easier if it's lighter though. But then I may not hold the camera as steady. (Sometimes I do find TC-1 is too light to hold steady.) After all, it's still not as bulky and heavy as any SLR.

I feel good when holding my Hexar. Not as good as GR21 though. Many people don't like the button operations. Me too. But I don't even touch them often. I take my pictures mostly in P mode. All I need the most are fast AF, fast lens, wide range of shutter speed, good metering and big bright viewfinder. Hexar is great in all these aspects except for the shutter speed. The highest speed is only 1/250... Not flexible under bright sunny day. I know I can use ND filter but it's inconvenient.

I prefer the image quality of Hexar than GR21 and TC-1. The colours from Hexar is the most faithful among the 3 cameras. (Comparing with Hexar, GR21 is too cool while TC-1 is too warm.) The pictures are sharp but not razor sharp. Just like what I see in my eyes. Natural. And they look quite 3D to me.

The AF is real fast. So fast that I can take a picture in the speed that I can't get from other cameras I have used. Together with its low-profile look, it's a very good tool for street photography. And don't forget its stealth mode. I don't really need it yet. I tried it. I'm amazed.

The above is only my impression after shooting my first test roll. I do feel great and special on Hexar. No wonder it's been highly praised by many photographers. I look forward to more pictures from it. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment