Tuesday 3 February 2009

Breakthrough

After being inspired by Cristi's blog, I've created and maintained my blogs so well that not a single day was without a picture. Keeping the blogs was my biggest motivation to take pictures daily. Frankly speaking, most of the time it's fun but some other time it's like a "duty"...

Today is my breakthrough. No picture! It doesn't mean that I haven't taken any pictures today. I did. But I can't see it yet. Should I use my GRD to take a picture just for posting my picture of today? I used to think so when I was really not inspired or didn't feel good to take any pictures at all sometimes before. Now I don't think so.

Since using GR21, my attitude towards taking pictures has completely changed. I still want to take pictures daily. But it's not the point. The point is that taking pictures wouldn't be a "duty" anymore.

If I don't feel it, I won't push myself to take any pictures. If I feel it, I take it. With a handy camera like GR21 or GRD, I can do it nearly anytime and anyplace. Once I can see and do like the pictures, I share them day by day with different subjects. If more than one picture fit the same subject, I post more than one picture on a day. If one picture can stand on its own, I post the picture only. If no pictures I'd like to share, I just don't post any pictures and probably don't write at all.

GR21 not only reminds me how great it feels taking pictures with a film camera but also helps me to reckon the importance of feelings as the key role behind my photo-taking.

4 comments:

  1. That is the main reason why I made the decision not to do any daily posting. I like to photograph on a daily bases, but do not want to see my taken photographs on a daily bases. And I don't want the pressure of daily posting. It should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the daily picture and post should never feel like a duty you have to do. For me although it did feel like a duty sometimes it is overall a enjoyable experience and kind of relaxing after a days work. I enjoy posting on a daily basis but you have to find what works best for you. I will keep posting but might look back at my archives also more often when I don't have any good picture to show for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!

    Yes, Cristi, finding what works the best for oneself is important. Your Ricoh GR-Diary has been working very well. Although I might not take any pictures on a day, I do check your blog daily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Mike, we are originate our inspiration towards creating blog at the same place, Cristi's blog. Since the first day in December that I post my first photo, I am very happy each time I took photos and posted them in my blog. It was not only my satisfaction, but also sharing to others who became my friends later. I hope our contribution in this place could inspire others like Cristi's did.

    Don't worried to post pictures every day. When it turned to be "duty", it will not be enjoyable at all. Waiting to see your next photos, Mike.

    PS:
    Film camera impressed me a lot recently too. ^ ^

    ReplyDelete