Wednesday 18 February 2009

TC-1

Ricoh GR Digital

GR21 reminds me how great it feels to take pictures with a film camera. GR21 is also great for its unique 21mm compactness. However, I want sharper images, warmer colours and even smaller size. Now I've got a used Minolta TC-1. Is it good or bad?

Ricoh GR Digital

I don't feel as great as GR21 or GRD when holding the TC-1. It's so flat. But I guess it's better than Contax T3 or other cameras with similar flat and slippery housing design. At least, it has a leather (?) grip.

The way to change aperture is interesting to me. What is even more interesting is the diaphragms for aperture. They're all circular!

Ricoh GR Digital

The back cover switch is harder to slide than GR21. Good for avoiding opening the cover accidentally.

Ricoh GR Digital

It has a dedicated button for spot metering. I haven't heard of any other compact cameras with such button. It's very useful for complicated lighting situations and more creative compositions with the right exposure we want.

Just like GR21, the LCD of TC-1 is with backlight. But it only lights up after pressing the backlight button. I think this is better than GR21 which always lights up no matter what the situation is.

The power button is harder to press than GR21. It's good for avoiding turning the camera on accidentally. But it's not easy to turn it on when we want to...

The viewfinder is better than GR21. It can be adjusted optically. Good for shortsighted people. It's bright, clear and informative. It's not blocked by the lens like GR21.

Ricoh GR Digital

This one shows the lens going back to the camera. It's not my intention. The camera just turned itself off after 3 minutes of idleness. :P

Ricoh GR Digital

The dial looks a bit oversized. It's easy to turn as a result. The shutter button is lighter to touch than GR21. Good for keeping the camera steady when releasing the shutter.

Ricoh GR Digital

It's made in Japan like GR21. It's built like a tank. I've heard that it's assembled by skillful hands. I'm really amazed that how it is possible to make a camera as small as this with all the mechanical and electronic parts inside. Don't forget that we still have to put battery and film in it! No doubt it combines thoughtful design and great assembling skill. This reflects by its original selling price, which is even higher than GR21.

I'll take some test shots with my TC-1 and GR21 and try to compare them. Although their focal lengths are different, we can still see how different they do for pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice camera, looking forward to read more about your experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. A great design. For example, I can change the aperture by moving the lever on the lens by my middle finger. Sounds like the front wheel of GRD, doesn't it? :P

    Together with my thumb on the spot button and my second finger on the shutter release button, it's the way to go.

    I've already taken some test shots and shots for comparing the 2 film cameras. Will see.

    ReplyDelete