Sunday 1 February 2009

Men in the Park

Ricoh GR21 / Kodak BW400CN / Canon 8800F

Choosing the right film is important. I prefer ISO400 film for my GR21 generally as it has a slow lens at f.3.5. Different makes and models of film contribute to the look of pictures too. In addition to different processings based on the different films, taking pictures on film is really fun. I don't have a darkroom. I don't get the fun of film processing. I just have it processed by a shop and I'll scan it and work on it digitally. So choosing of the right film is not crucial in my case. And I like grainy pictures. Film with ultra-fine grain is basically useless then.

Recently I've checked out what film available in Hong Kong. The choices there are more than Macao and their prices are lower. I bought a pack of ten rolls of Fujucolor Superior X-TRA 400 only. Will see how good it is for me after I have the film still inside my GR21 processed.

This is probably the last picture I like from my "last" black and white film. The grain of BW400CN is very fine. But, in my hands, it's useless...

1 comment:

  1. You can say it again, Mike. B&W grain is very nice to me. After enlarging your picture, I am certain that DSLR can not produce great grain of B&W as well as SLR does. May be next roll of my SLR camera could be B&W, even though I love color film at all.

    ReplyDelete