Wednesday 21 January 2009

Butterflies

Ricoh GR Digital

With a film camera in hand suddenly after getting used to take digital pictures day by day, I have had more thoughts on my motives for taking pictures. First of all, I enjoy seeing photos as works of art. I particularly like those works with emotional depth that I'm simply moved. I'm so moved that I'd like to do something like that to express my own feelings. With good tools like GRD, I can freeze an image that I'm somehow attached to emotionally or aesthetically in the way that I think works. After inspired by Cristian's Ricoh GR-Diary, I wanted to share my freezed frames of time and space daily. Frankly speaking, I can't always be inspired, moved or lucky enough to take good pictures every single day. However, I have enjoyed taking pictures everyday for keeping my blog with daily entries and at the same time learned from experiences and comments from viewers. So basically my blog (my old PhotoBlog or this blog) has pushed me to take pictures.

After getting my GR21, taking pictures is no longer only for maintaining my blog. I still take pictures daily and enjoy it. But now it's not because the pictures contribute to my blog but I simply want to take them. The role of my blog has then become not as important as before. I have no pressure to use GRD (for obvious reasons) instead of GR21 for posting today's picture. I just take pictures with GRD or GR21 depending on the situations and limitation.

Today (20/1, the Inauguration Day of Obama) the colour film was still in my GR21 but I'd like to take b/w pictures (I do like b/w pictures much more than colour ones.). Thanks to the compact size of GRD and GR21, both cameras were with me. I naturally took my GRD out to take the picture of the butterfly glass charger with the floral curtain as part of the background.

What about the photos by GR21 today? I may like them more than this photo. Should I wait for them and decide which one is Picture Of Today? No. Among the pictures I've taken AND been able to see finally (in case of GRD, it's not that finally... :P) today, I post my most favourite one. The pictures can be those I've taken and/or scanned today. In other words, my picture of today is from what I have been able to see finally today rather than what I've taken today. This is my new guide for this blog.

What if I can't see any pictures today? Such case happens when I have't used GRD to shoot any pictures and the film in my GR21 hasn't been processed yet. Then no picture will be posted for today but I may still write.

In short, I won't push myself to use my GRD to take a picture in order to post a picture for this blog. I just follow my feelings and use either or both cameras I think fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment