Wednesday 21 January 2009

GR21 in Colour

Ricoh GR21 / Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 / Canon 8800F

Ricoh GR21 / Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 / Canon 8800F / ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5

Already had my first colour film processed. Not all the negatives were scanned. I only chose a few frames and tried different settings to see which one turns out the best result. Here is one of the test pictures. I took it on 18th (When talking about shooting date, I feel not convenient to record all the shooting info by hand. This is another disavantage of film. If I take digital pictures, all the info is automatically embedded in the picture file.) After checking out the available scanners in a computer mall, I walked by this street cobbler. The Chinese words mean "All families' luck". I agree. We're lucky to have such handiwork for our shoes that are worn out but fit as our second skin.

The colour photo looks good to me. But I don't shoot many colour pictures. I tried to see how it looked after grayscale conversion. The bottom one is the result with noise added. Looks good to me too. I think I can save money on the more expensive and harder to find b/w film. :P

I've had an idea to push the speed of film and see its effect of higher contrast and more grains. However, I found that no shops in Macao can help me to precess such film accordingly... :( So I have to do it in post-processing.

2 comments:

  1. I like the color version and your b&w conversion looks very good, too. You seem to be getting along very well with the GR21.

    Agree about the shooting info not being available for film, makes the whole learning process more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cristi! Glad you like it. It's only scanned at 200dpi. Will try again at higher resolution (e.g. 1200dpi) and see any big difference. You know, for sharing on web, it's not necessary to be in hi-res. And I'm not interested in pixel-peeping... :P

    I'm still getting used to my GR21. Composition is not as easy as GRD for its small viewfinder. I have to look into it at the right angle in order to get a clear view. :P

    ReplyDelete