Friday 23 January 2009

Hose

Ricoh GR Digital

Two photos today again. First, this is a photo I've wanted to take for quite some time. I find it looks like a kind of the subliminal visual elements usually found in promotional materials. :P

Ricoh GR21 / Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 / Canon 8800F

Then, here is yesterday's photo but scanned at 4800 dpi without Auto Tone. (The photos posted yesterday was scanned at 200 dpi only...) I resized it to about the same size as yesterday's photo.

I'm very happy with the result for its sharper and more detailed image from higher resolution and more accurate colours from disabling Auto Tone function. I think it's worth the extra time (6 minutes compared to 1 minute a scan of a 35mm nagative film frame). I guess such quality is enough to justify my GR21 in the context of online photo sharing.

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog for a few weeks and I noticed you shooting film with the Ricoh GR21. This certainly triggers me to use my GR1 again. Thank you for the inspiration.

    Cheers,
    Wouter Brandsma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wouter. Load film in your GR1 and experience the old way of shooting. You would feel quite inconvenient. But convenience doesn't rule. Sometimes it just spoils the fun of handling in the good old way. All the physical and mechanical aspects of traditional photography are wonderful. I've even thought about setting up a darkroom but my living space doesn't allow.

    Apart from the special feeling when using film camera, the end result looks different. Its analogue character attracts me very much.

    ReplyDelete