Tuesday 27 January 2009

Hurry Up!

Ricoh GR21 / Kodak BW400CN / Canon 8800F

Two days ago, it's Chinese New Year's Eve. People were busy preparing all the stuff for the big day. One of the stuff was flowers, especially blossoms. It's another Chinese tradition. Decorating our home with blossoms and other beautiful flowers means bringing us luck and good fortune. How could we miss it?

With GRD, I check each photo right away after taking it. If it's not good, I'll delete it and try to shoot it again. Based on my observation, people also like to take a look of what they've just taken and try another if not satisfied. If you're not aware of this, take a look of people, especially those with a DSLR, taking pictures and you'll know.

With GR21, I can't review the photo instantly. So what do I do? My decision has to be more precise. The time my decision is made is the time the shutter is released. Once it's released, I just forget it all and concentrate on my feeling towards another target. No more checking this and that and then probably missing something worth for record. Just take it and leave it!

When I look at the pictures after scanning from my negatives, my joy is bigger than directly from digital cameras. Although not all of them are as per my expectation, I'm delighted so much even with one single picture I like.

I'm glad that among the pictures from my "last" b/w film, I like more than one. Here is another one under the same subject:
Ricoh GR21 / Kodak BW400CN / Canon 8800F

Just like the woman. Have two today. Will post more.

3 comments:

  1. Mike, this is a very interesting post and I enjoy reading about your experience with film. It seems to be the exact opposite of my own experience a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder, Cristian. I know very well that you prefer digital camera than film camera. I prefer so for some situations. But in case both can take care of the shot well, I like to use film camera more. It's like playing vinyl records and CD's. To me, it feels so good when I play a vinyl. I feel as good when I use a film camera. Maybe I'm old-fashioned deep down in my heart. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, there is something 'special' when pressing the shutter on the GR1 as opposed to the GRD. I understand what you mean and can see why you prefer the GR21.

    ReplyDelete